Jason walked into the bedroom last night where I lay prostrate from the heat, and proclaimed there is nothing left to pack in our house. Not exactly true, but I let it slide since my nod to packing yesterday consisted of dumping most of the contents of my dresser (which I'm trying to sell) into a box and calling it good.
Jason on the other hand spent last night detangling and packing the corner of our living room dedicated to entertainment, and all of its assorted cables.
The heat index was 97 yesterday and even though it eventually cooled off outside, our apartment retained all of the day's heat quite nicely. I sat perfectly still on the couch and sweat still rolled off of me.
I'm not going to say that we have it rougher than those in, say, Tucson, but it's just different. I don't ever say "But it's a dry heat" because I know exactly what that dry heat feels like in the middle of the summer. Like a blowtorch. Or a very hot oven right after you open the oven door. That's what 115 degrees on a summery desert day feels like.
But in the desert you have air conditioning, or at least a swamp cooler. Most homes in the Northeast do not have air conditioning. So when it's 94 with 70% humidity outside, that's exactly what it is inside.
My point is, I excused myself from packing last night. The truth of the matter is, there ARE still things to pack. I made a little list for us and emailed it to Jason this morning. Tonight we pack!
2 comments:
I'll never forget when your sister-in-law told me that Jason (who was the *only* person who showed up to help my mom and I load all of my stuff onto the moving truck) had said that my mom and I looked like we were going to spontaneously combust after packing everything up.
There is nothing quite like moving in New England in the summer. I definitely don't envy you that! At least here in the Midwest, every apartment has air conditioning.
I was DYING packing and cleaning and all that stuff last week. It was torturous. I really think that the dry heat is better. At least in the shade it doesn't still feel like the air is so hot and thick that it's choking you.
Anyway, I'm with you. And air conditioning makes a big difference--I learned that while living in RI!!!
Post a Comment