Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Day 2: The Big Island, April 26, 2010

Day 2 on the Big Island, we decided to get out and about a bit more. We rented some snorkeling gear and headed back down to Kahalu'u Beach Park, where we had noticed a bunch of people snorkeling the day before.

In prepping for this trip, Jason bought a waterproof case for my little point and shoot camera. I highly recommend it. It was really inexpensive and worked great. You wear it on a lanyard around your neck. Jason and I traded off taking pictures with the camera.


Moorish idol
Raccoon butterfly fish
Turtle! I saw 4 on this snorkeling excursion.

Jason reaching out to touch a fish

I love the puffer fish in the center, seemingly staring at the camera
Rainbow parrotfish

I don't know what these are, but they were all over and they're very pretty. Jet black with these narrow electric blue stripes at the base of their fins on the top and bottom of their bodies.

Anemone
The one thing I'm sad I didn't get on film was my own little turtle encounter. Like I said, on this particular snorkeling excursion, I saw 4 turtles. Well, I followed one around for a little while and at one point he came up to breathe and was only a couple of inches from my face. So thrilling.

This snorkeling trip was the beginning of my gaining a (well-deserved) reputation of being happiest when in the water. Anyone in my family could have told Jason's family that. Especially my grandma who has years of experience of me ignoring her at the beach when she called me to come in so we could leave. (Yes, Mamaw, I did hear you and I was ignoring you. But you knew that.)
Day 2 was also the day we discovered Hapuna Beach State Park, about an hour north of the condo. Me, Jason, Sarah and Brandon went (and left baby Anya in the care of her grandparents). Where we stayed it was very rocky, but just a bit north was this gorgeous stretch of sandy beach and warm water perfect for swimming and jumping waves. We went back another day and took pictures this time.

Hawaiian sunset

No comments: