On Day 3, Lorraine (Jason's mom) needed to grade finals so the rest of us headed north to Kohala and back down the coast to Kona. We drove up through Waimea and Hawi, then over to the Pololu Valley Lookout. The first plan was to possibly go north and hike in some valleys with waterfalls and such, but what with such a large group and a 3-month old baby, we scaled it back to more of a car tour, but still got to see some beautiful sites and play in the ocean at the end of the day.
The Big Island is a land of contrasts (why do I feel like I'm narrating a National Geographic special?). It is the youngest island and still boasts an active volcano (more on that in Day 5). We headed north on a road that looks over the desolate valley toward the ocean, where there are relatively recent lava flows, and plants are just starting to grow. It's very dry and brown and desert-like and reminded me a bit of Tucson.
However, once we got up into Kohala, it started looking a bit more like what I always thought Hawaii would look like. You know, lush and green and jungley.
Pololu Valley Lookout, at the top of The Big Island:
And we found it, which thrilled Marissa (and me too, if I'm being perfectly honest):
Kamehameha I took control of western and northern Hawaiʻi island (the Kona and Kohala districts) in 1782, but for eight years since then fought in a number of inconclusive battles. After returning from Maui in 1790, he was attacked by his cousin Keoua Kuahu'ula who still controlled the East side of the island. He returned to the village of Kawaihae, where he had spent some time earlier. A respected kahuna (priest) named Kapoukahi suggested building a luakini leiau (sacrificial temple) to gain the favor of the war god Kuka'ilimoku. Puʻukoholā Heiau meaning "Temple on the Hill of the Whale" was the result, probably on the site of an older temple from about 1580. It was built entirely by hand with no mortar, in less than a year. The red stones were transported by a human chain about 14 miles long, from Pololu Valley to the East.When we went in, a park guide was telling a big group of kids about King Kamehameha and the unification of Hawaii under him. The kids were enthralled.
We walked around the visitors center a bit, and then got back on the road to our final destination, Hapuna Beach. Jason, Brandon, Sarah and I had come there for a little bit the day before and decided we needed to end our day back at this beach.
1 comment:
Wow.
I look at these photos and all I can think is:
"And you left?" ...
"You went back to Rhode Island of all places?" ...
"On purpose?" ...
I guess your sense of responsibility is stronger than most. Either that or you have the ability to take the long view and tell yourself, "I shall return!" ;-)
Wonderful pictures! Thanks for sharing them! I look forward to Day Four!
T-K
Post a Comment